What is a diaper rash?
Any rashes or inflammation caused by the prolonged contact of wet diaper in babies is called diaper rash.
- Prolonged exposure to stools and urine may affect the sensitive skin of babies.
- chaffing or rubbing with tight fitting diapers or clothes with skin can lead to a rash.
- May caused by the new products from detergent,soaps and shampoos.
- Introduction of new foods may cause changes in the content of urine and stools which may cause rashes.
- Bacterial infection
- Allergic reaction to new diaper.
- If babies having having diarrhea.
How to treat a diaper rash:
a) Wash your hands before and after diaper change.
b) Change the diaper often or change immediately as soon as it’s soiled.
c) Use barrier creams with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide to soothe the skin and prevent contact with feces and other irritants. Use Vaseline as the best medicine as it has few dyes/perfumes.
d) Give them an oatmeal bath to soothe the itch of your baby’s rash.
e) Use corn starch powder to keep the area dry( keep it away from baby’s face).
f) Use mild wipes to clean the bottom.
g) Let your baby be diaper free as much as possible as airing the diaper area helps the baby’s rash to go off fast.
Call the doctor when the rashes gets worse.