What is two hour Glucose tolerance test?
It is a routine test taken during pregnancy to check a pregnant women’s blood glucose level. It is used to to diagnose gestational diabetes.
Normal pregnancy range of glucose test
Remember it varies from one pregnant women to other.
It is recommended to complete this test first thing in the morning since you will be fasting.
|2 hour GIT (75 gm load)||Abnormal|
|Fasting||Greater than 92 mg/dl|
|1 hour||Greater than 180 mg/dl|
|2 hour||Greater than 153 mg/dl|
How to prepare for the test to get a valid test result?
- Continue to eat regular meals and all the foods you normally enjoy. Do not alter your diet or exercise habits.
- For three days prior to the test, you must include at least 150 grams or more of carbohydrate in your daily food intake.
- Choose 3-4 items from the following lists at 3 meals and 1 per snack. Each item has 15 grams of carbohydrate.
|Starchy foods||Fruits- list 2||Milk -list 2|
|1 slices/ 1 ounce of bread||4 ounce piece of fruit||8 ounce milk or buttermilk|
|1 roti or chapathi||1 medium apple or orange||1 cup milk or buttermilk|
|⅓ cup cooked rice||¾-1 cup berries||8 oz fortified soy milk|
|½ cup cooked noodles||½ cup cut up fruit||6 oz light yogurt|
|1 corn tortilla||1 cup grapes or melon|
|3 oz small potato||½ large fruit such as mango or banana|
|¾-1 oz crackers||2 tablespoons raisins|
|2-3 per meal||0-1 per meal||0-1 per meal|
4. The night before the test: DO NOT eat or drink anything for the next 10-12 hours except water.
5. The morning of : When you get up in the morning, Do Not eat or drink anything, except water.